VirtualBox 3.2.0 Beta 1 released, err Oracle VM Virtualbox
Posted by essjae on April 30, 2010
What a name! Oracle VM VirtualBox?
Major version update!!!
VirtualBox Version 3.2.0 is a major update. The following major new features were added:
- Following the acquisition of Sun Microsystems by Oracle Corporation, the product is now called Oracle VM VirtualBox and all references were changed without impacting compatibility.
- Experimental support for Mac OS X guests
- Memory ballooning to dynamically in- or decrease the amount of RAM used by a VM (64-bit hosts only) (see the manual for more information)
- CPU hot-plugging for Linux (hot-add and hot-remove) and certain Windows guests (hot-add only) (see the manual for more information)
- New Hypervisor features: with both VT-x/AMD-V on 64-bit hosts, using large pages can improve performance (see the manual for more information); also, on VT-x, unrestricted guest execution is now supported (if nested paging is enabled with VT-x, real mode and protected mode without paging code runs faster, which mainly speeds up guest OS booting)
- Support for deleting snapshots while the VM is running
- Support for multi-monitor guest setups in the GUI (see the manual for more information)
- USB tablet/keyboard emulation for improved user experience if no Guest Additions are available
- LsiLogic SAS controller emulation
- RDP video acceleration
- NAT engine configuration via API and VBoxManage
- Guest Additions: added support for executing guest applications from the host system
- OVF: enhanced OVF support with custom namespace to preserve settings that are not part of the base OVF standard