Making Gmail more like Outlook
Posted by essjae on February 7, 2013
This has been a goal of mine for quite some time. I found a great website here, that helped me finish up the details (circles “people widget” and the white space left behind when you remove the widget).
The best way is to:
- Use Chrome
- Enable the Labs feature of Chrome and use:
- Preview pane — this lets you view the message by selecting it
- Right-side chat — moves the chat to the right, freeing up your Labels column
The problem here is you still have the “People/Circles” thing next to your preview pane. Here’s a quick overview. Visit the link for the full details.
Remove the Person Widget (http://downhometechnology.com/dht/?p=88)
- Go to the Gmail Gear settings menu
- Click the disable radio button under People Widget
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and Click Save
Remove the Person Widget White Space by Overriding Some CSS (http://downhometechnology.com/dht/?p=88)
The extension is Personalized Web.
- Install Personalized Web
- Go to your Chrome Settings (3 stacked bars icon next to address bar) and then Tools–>Extensions
- Find Personalized Web and click options
- Now that it is in edit mode, add a new rule
- Name = Gmail
- URL = https://mail.google.com
- Add the following to the CSS field
5. Click Save
6. Refresh Gmail