Configuring/Removing Password Policies in Windows Server 2012 for Lab/Demo environments
Posted by essjae on June 24, 2015
The default password policies are pretty strict for a lab or demo environment. If you’re not in a domain, it’s easy to modify these settings from the Local Security Policies:
- Run gpedit.msc
- Under Computer Configuration–>Windows Settings–>Security Settings–>Account Policies–Password Policy
- Change the Policy Security Settings you want.
Under a domain controller, you can do this via the Active Directory Administrative Center
- Run dsac.exe, or via the GUI it’s under Administrative Tools–>Active Directory Administrative Center
- Go to YourDomain(local)–>System–>Password Settings Container
- Click New from the Tasks menu
- Create your Password Settings
Here’s the window, note that I’ve already created a password policy. A new forest/domain will not have anything populated in it.
I don’t recommend disabling all these settings if you’re in a production environment.