VirtualBox 5.0 Released July 9!
Posted by essjae on July 14, 2015
This is a major update. The following major new features were added:
- Paravirtualization support for Windows and Linux guests to improve time-keeping accuracy and performance (see the manual for more information)
- Make more instruction set extensions available to the guest when running with hardware-assisted virtualization and nested paging. Among others this includes: SSE 4.1, SSE4.2, AVX, AVX-2, AES-NI, POPCNT, RDRAND and RDSEED
- xHCI Controller to support USB 3 devices (see the manual for more information)
- Drag and drop support (bidirectional) for Windows, Linux and Solaris guests
- Disk image encryption (see the manual for more information)
- VMs can now be started in separate mode. The VM process is started headless while the frontend runs as a separate process which can be terminated without stopping the VM.
- GUI: VM guest-content scaling support (including 3D acceleration)
- GUI: New User Interface settings page for customizing status-bar, menu-bar and guest-content scaling
- GUI: New Encryption settings tab for customizing encryption options for disk images
- GUI: HiDPI support including application icons and optional unscaled HiDPI output on Mac OS X (including 3D acceleration)
- GUI: Hot-plugging support for SATA disks
- New, modular audio architecture for providing a better abstraction of the host audio backends
- Support for the NDIS6 networking framework on Windows (default on Vista and later)